2021 Lets Go!

 January 7, 2021

2021 is not off to a great start as our Nation experienced a new low yesterday as a mob of Trump supporters broke through a barricade and law enforcement and into the Capital.  People were injured and killed and it was all incited by our President Trump.  I am a Republican who voted for a Democrat (I also voted for Obama) and am not actually very political at all!  Even though some of my family would disagree.  I just really hate  injustice and abuse of power and it has just been going on way too long.  Plus Donald Trump as president has been a joke.  He has done some good things, but I credit his cabinet, and the Republican party, not him.  He is disgusting, egocentric and just a horrible human being.  

Enough Said.

I don't want this journal to be an extension of my occasional political/soap box rants, but if my children ever do read this, I hope they have learned at least one thing from me concerning politics.  It doesn't matter what political party you are a member of!  What matters is that you vote for leaders with admirable characteristics that do their best to uphold the law while also fighting injustice.  Everyone matters and you can't judge other's hearts.  Do your best to love everyone and be respectful and civil ALWAYS.  And never ever EVER discuss politics with your adult family members!  I learned that lesson the hard way several times.  Oh--and if social media is still a thing when you are older and reading this, don't post your political posts unless you turn your comments off and follow the civil and respect guidelines. Or just don't post them.  Its not worth the damage in relationships that it can cause.  

We just got back from our trip to AZ. We went a couple days after Christmas and stayed for Ruby's bday.  She had a blast with cousins, but also felt a little disappointed by the lack of the birthday feels on her day because things were different.  Luke is the same way and likes his birthday to be the same every year...I had a suspicion this would be the same for Ruby.  She still had a good time, but has decided to keep her birthday at home from now on so we can do all our regular bday traditions.  Everyone enjoyed lots of cousin time and no one was super excited to leave, so I think it was successful!  However, we will never be traveling over the holidays again (at least not with so many kids!).  Re-entry into real life was just too hard.  I think we are to the point that one trip to AZ every 1-2 years is good for us.

Right now we have kids getting ready for dance recitals.  With Covid things have been so different for nearly a year now, but I'm so grateful we will still get to see them perform, even if we have to wear masks and social distance.  Vaccinations are just around the corner!  Isaac is the next birthday coming up.  I can't believe he will be 17 years old.  He has turned out to be a pretty nice brother, despite me fears because of his love of teasing.  He has toned it down luckily!  Both Penny and Ruby have expressed how much they have enjoyed having his around this last little while.  I'm so happy his efforts to improve his friendships with his siblings hasn't gone unnoticed.  He helps me so much and is usually happy to do anything I ask of him.  He drives kids to and from places and watches Josh, who adores him.  He is such a good person.  I'm so impressed with him and the growth he has has the last year has been amazing.  He is enjoying drama at school so much and loves playing basketball. He is so handsome but I'm so glad he hasn't realized that! I can't imagine being the oldest kid of 11.  Must be crazy hard.  I know I made more mistakes than not, and I hope he will forgive me.  I'm sure he will learn from my mistakes and do even better than I have.  And I also hope he will learn not to tease so much---especially his own kids. :) Isaac has taught me not to be so critical and controlling when it comes to being a mom.  I still have a long ways to go, but I'm trying.

Luke is almost 15.  It is my least favorite age.  I love him.  I love him.  I love him. 

Penny is LOVING dancing.  She is preparing for her first solo and is just so in love with anything that is dance.  She is dedicated too.  She practices all the time and wakes up on her off days to work out and practice more.  She is trying really hard to stay caught up on her school work and is working even harder than last term.  So proud of her.  Ruby is pre-teen and sometimes just won't open up to me.  It worries me a lot.  I feel lost sometimes as a mother--balancing wanting to make them communicate, and fix their problems with letting them figure things out and sometimes choosing not to talk to me.  Ruby is still a natural with little kids and I'm so excited for her to be a mom someday (in a very long time). Oliver is aat a fun stage right now.  He and I just played one of his made up card games tonight that actually worked out really well!  He is obsessed with how to train your dragon books--any books actually.  Its been fun to see him devour so many books.  He is often caught with a flashlight in bed or in the bathroom trying to finish a book.  He is our egg collector now and I'm just so glad I don't have to do it.  He still loves soccer but is starting to be interested in basketball as well.  

Millie is still super helpful and sweet.  She struggles with telling the truth still, but I just know she will figure it out.  I have some things to figure out before she can, but she is a good kid with an amazing heart and I just love her to pieces.  She is hard in so many ways, but makes up for it 10 fold in so many other ways.  I'm happy she is here to teach me that.  I hope I can just get better and better at focusing on all the good things about my kids.  This year I want to be less critical.  More positive, patient and loving.  Max is still so interested in rocks.  He has gotten Simon equally interested.  Max is excited for Lacrosse season and I think he has quite a bit of potential in this sport.  He started piano earlier this year and loves it.  His teacher is amazing and adores him.  Max is struggling in school, but I am so proud of him.  Dyslexia is hard, but he is working so much and I know he will do great things.  Simon (and Oliver) are starting to tease more and more and more.  So we are working on that. Simon is so so so smart.  He is also loving basketball lately.  His teacher said he is amazing to have in the class and is eager to help other students.  I love him so much and can't believe he will be 8 this year.  He was my baby for so long, its just so hard to have him getting older.

Jane is just a silly happy girl.  She asks some deep questions and this last year has definitely been tough! She has struggled so much in school academically but not socially.  She has made so many little friends and had so much fun.  She wants to be the best dancer and tries so hard in her class.  Its hard to see her struggle, it makes her so sad and she is almost always happy.  Lola is still loving horses so much and there isn't a week that goes by that she doesn't ask me if she can have her own horse.  I keep telling her the neighbors horses are hers! But I don't think she is buying it.  She doesn't stop rolling around on the ground.  EVER.  So much so that I called her teacher to see if I needed to make an ADHD appointment for her.  Her teacher said she was an amazing listener and does so great in class.  I guess she just doesn't want to listen to me.  Its so frustrating snd hilarious at the same time.  She is always spinning on a chair or spinning on the floor.  She keeps us laughing with the funny way to mixes up words.  I hope that never stops! Or at least not for a long long time!!  Joshua is 2 and is still, for the most part, such an easy kid.  He still gives the best hugs---running with arms outstretched calling maaaaaamaaaa or daaaaaadaaaa all the way while he runs towards you.  He loves to watch Einsteins, Daniel tiger, Thomas train shows, and Cocomelon (a show with a baby and just lots and lots of singing).  He has really taken off in the jibber jabber department.  He has the cutest little voice and a rather large vocabulary!  He is so very very smart.  I still can't believe he is blond haired and blue eyed.  He is adorable.  

I didn't mean to write about each kid, and I definitely can't do that every time (my hands hurt!), but I think its important to write about them every so often because my memory fails so much of the time.  

Right now I am so excited for our cabin.  I am currently having relationship issues with a sister.  trying to refrain from passionate political thoughts, barely getting any sleep, grateful for Natasha and other people that help me out enormously.  I am also falling asleep.....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempt #362